It is normal that over time the windows stop fulfilling their function with the efficiency that would be desirable. In this article we tell you its advantages and the price of changing the windows at home.
Keep reading if you want to know the benefits that changing the windows can have.
Today most homes have wooden windows. It is true that it is one of the most popular materials, but it is not the only one.
In this article we will talk about the advantages that changing your windows can have. In addition, we try to advise you on the different materials that are commonly used in this type of situation.
Advantages of changing windows
Changing windows is one of the most important improvements that can be made in a home. This decision can increase the value of a house, so you can consider it as an investment for the future.
But this is not the only advantage you can get by changing your windows. In addition to the revaluation of your home, some of the benefits that new windows can bring you are:
- Energy saving: It is one of the main reasons that leads to the decision to change the windows. Well-sealed and well-installed windows allow you to save on heating in winter by helping to conserve heat. They also help you save on air conditioning during the summer because they are useful to keep the house cool.
- Comfort: A room that is capable of maintaining a stable temperature translates into greater comfort for those who occupy it.
- Security: Windows with a good closure and thick glass can avoid the odd scare. That is why many houses or low apartments opt for this type of reform. And you can further strengthen that security by installing iron bars.
- Sound insulation: Thief deterrence is not the only benefit of quality glass. It also helps isolate the house from outside noise. This is especially useful if you live in the city, where excessive noise can lead to sleep disturbances.
- Better lighting: Sunlight is another major factor that people take into account when changing their windows. It is incredible what a house can change by placing windows that allow more light to pass through. In addition, better lighting goes hand in hand with greater energy savings: as more sunlight enters, it is no longer necessary to use artificial light.
- Aesthetics: It is not usually the main reason to change the windows but, if the time comes when it is necessary, you can take advantage. Today the market offers many options for windows and enclosures that work at the same time as a decorative element.
- Reducing the entry of pollutants: Windows that close hermetically will prevent so much dust and dirt from entering the house. Consequently, they can be a help to keep your home clean.
What materials can you choose?
Windows are manufactured primarily from three materials: wood, PVC, and aluminum.
The way windows are usually chosen for aesthetic related issues. It is true that they give a more homely and warm image to any home. They also tend to have a very natural design.
On the other hand, the thermal break they offer is not bad. However, they need to be of a very high quality if you want to achieve good thermal and acoustic insulation.
This is one of the reasons why people often change wooden windows for aluminum or PVC ones.
It is the best thermal insulator of the three materials. Being plastic, it does not conduct heat or cold. And it is also a good sound insulator. In general it has very good results in terms of energy efficiency.
On the other hand, its manufacturing method allows it to be adapted to any need. It can even imitate other materials, like wood. It is also quite cheap.
It is the best known and most used material. It is true that it is not an insulating material like PVC, but these windows have a thermal bridge break. This prevents cold or heat from penetrating. On the other hand they are thicker and more resistant.
Although at first its price is high, in the long run it is profitable, since its repairs are usually simpler and cheaper.
When is it convenient to change the windows?
As we have seen, the action of changing windows can have a very positive impact on quality of life. However, sometimes it is not so easy to know when it is necessary to make this change.
Some of the symptoms that indicate that it is time to put new windows are:
When moisture condenses on glass. This means that it has lost its insulating properties.
The loss of insulating properties is also noticeable in the heating bill.
Another symptom is noticing drafts when approaching the closed window.
Another signal occurs when the poor conditions of the frames prevent them from closing well.
If you begin to perceive some of these details, it is probably time for a reform. As we have already mentioned, in this way you can improve your quality of life. You can consider it as an investment for the future that you will be able to enjoy from the first moment.