What is Zelle ?
Let’s say you need to pay a friend for his share of the grocery or takeout bill. Or you may want to pay your share of a gift or other expense. Or you just need to send money to the babysitter or help a family member. In the past, you would have had to pay your friends, family, or trusted persons with cash, if you had it. Now you can make those payments quickly and securely with Zelle .
Zelle is a fast, secure, and easy way to send and receive money from people you know and trust with a US bank account; the transaction typically takes minutes when the sender and recipient are already enrolled in Zelle at their financial institution or in the Zelle app .
How do I use Zelle ?
Once you have signed up with Zelle using your US email address or mobile phone number, you can typically send money as follows:
- Configuration and shipping. Add or select your trusted recipient, enter the amount you want to send and select the account where the funds will come from. Please review carefully and validate the payment details before submitting. Since most payments are sent within minutes between registered users, sending money with Zelle is very similar to exchanging cash with someone.
- Notification to the recipient. The recipient will receive an email or text notification along with payment details and instructions on how to sign up to receive the money if they haven’t already signed up for Zelle at their financial institution or the Zelle app .
- Recipient registration. If your recipient’s email address or mobile phone number is not enrolled with Zelle , that recipient will need to sign up to receive money. The recipient will have fourteen (14) days to complete the one-time enrollment using the same email address or U.S. mobile phone number that you used to send the payment to them.
- Sending of money. Once the recipient has signed up and linked their eligible account to their US email or mobile phone number, the money will be sent directly to the recipient’s account, and will typically be available within minutes.1
Even if you don’t plan to send money with Zelle , it would be wise to sign up with Zelle using an eligible account and your US mobile phone number or email address. So if someone wants to send you money with Zelle , the money can be sent quickly to your account.
It is important to remember to use Zelle with people you know and trust. Sending money with Zelle is very similar to exchanging cash with someone.
What else should I know?
- It is important to remember to use Zelle with people you know and trust.
- When adding a new recipient, make sure you have their most up-to-date U.S. email address or mobile phone number.
- Once the payment is sent, it cannot be canceled unless the recipient has not yet signed up. Zelle transactions are not covered by the same protections as credit or debit card transactions. If your payment status is still pending, you may be able to cancel the payment in the Zelle Activity section .
Zelle is an easy way to send money to other people, and it can be especially useful when connecting to an eligible account.